Sunday, November 18, 2012

Around the Web - Barnbarroch House

A Scots artist named Duncan Tattersall has created an online blog called Ruination Scotland to share his passion for art inspired by derelict and ruined buildings.  One of his first postings is about Barnbarroch House, known to many as the ancestral home of the Vans of Barnbarroch (the family thought to be the origins of the Vances of DNA Group 1) which was ruined by fire in 1941.   Mr. Tattersall has written a very nice article about a visit he recently made to the ruins of Barnbarroch on his blog at http://ruination-scotland.com/2012/11/05/ruin-of-the-month-barnbarroch-house/, complete with pictures of the ruins and others like the one shown here of the house in its heyday.  If you're not familiar with Barnbarroch House this is a great introduction to it. 

More information about the artist and his work is available on his blog.  

Postcard of Barnbarroch House before 1941

3 comments:

  1. This is my ancestral home. My dad has the family tree with this house on it. It shows my direct lineage all the way back to 1384. My dad has been to see it though that was maybe 20 years ago. I hope to make a trip out someday so I can see it as well. Really nice to see a detailed illustration of what this house looked like. Thanks.

    William H. Vance

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are distant relatives. My family tree is tied to Tabitha Mary Vance, which goes back to Sir Patrick Vans. My wife and I visited the Barnbarroch House near Wigtown, Scotland a few months back. Although it is a ruin, it is very special! I hope you get a chance to see it. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the report! Good to know the ruin still stands. We hear every once in awhile that there are plans for it, but they never seem to progress - maybe someday! Appreciate your visit to the site and your comment.

    ReplyDelete